Thursday, March 15, 2012

Hairy Situation

Hi Everyone.  This post has little to do with dieting and more about my anxiety over having laser hair removal this afternoon (on my bikini area).  A few months back I went on a crazy Groupon spending spree where I decided to rid myself of "unwanted" hair and purchased two Groupons for laser hair removal at two different med spas, for two different size areas.  Of course I've avoided scheduling these torture sessions, I mean appointments, because it's so nerve wracking.  Which areas of "unwanted hair" to free myself from the burden of shaving & waxing?  I have several.  I purchased a small area as well as a medium area...I'm short so that should about cover it, right?  Not exactly, it cost big bucks to remove leg hair so I nixed that dream and moved on.  My choices varied from chin/other facial areas, underarms, bikini, Brazilian bikini and the list goes on.  I decided on underarms for the small area and for my medium area (drum roll) the Brazilian business.  My appointment is today at 4:30 and I'm scared shit less.  Is it appropriate to bring magazine photos like you would for a haircut?  I'm picturing myself sitting in some antique, OBGYN looking contraption with a woman in beauty scrubs looking over my shoulder as we gaze at cutouts from an adult magazine, "I'm leaning a little more toward the January centerfold...March looks like she hasn't hit puberty yet.  Which do you like best Shawna, you're the expert?"  Lord, what have I gotten myself into?

Oh, and I haven't even started on the pain.  I've endured many a painful procedure in the name of vanity and I typically use my esthetician and friend, Carri, as a barometer.  Carri does hair, permanent makeup, as well as works in a plastic surgery office where she's seen it all.  I trusted Carri to tattoo my eyeliner, eye brows, and lips because she told me I would love it (and I do) and that it wasn't too painful (and it wasn't).  Yesterday she kindly informed me that Brazilian laser hair removal will "hurt like hell".  Seriously??  Private part hair removal hurts worse than a face tattoo? Awesome!  Just what I want to do with my weekend...be laid up on the couch with a bag of frozen peas between my legs.  I guess there are worse things.  Will I be able to go to Trevor's Bootcamp Friday morning without crying over my burned vagina?  "Trevor, do you have a modification for walking?"  Maybe it will hurt so bad I'll lose my appetite?  A girl can dream.  I've decided to stop apologizing for the TMI in these posts.  If you're still reading this...it's on you.  I'm going to grow a pair and find courage in knowing that Mike Tyson stamped his bravery in the form of a tribal face tattoo for everyone to see while in a few short months, my bravery will be tucked neatly and discreetly behind my boy short tankini (which provides full tochas coverage).  Wish me luck and if I'm limping around this weekend, you'll know why.        

2 comments:

  1. Very funny! You are a brave woman. I have a brazilian wax today and plan to go tomorrow as well, so we can waddle together!! You might be in a little more pain than I. Take a lot of Advil before you go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It DOES hurt, I am having it done too. If you are having more than one treatment, ask for a prescription for the Emla (I think that is the name) cream. It makes it VERY tolerable!

    ReplyDelete